Hosting a Pledge Drive
- The purpose of a pledge drive is to encourage people to commit to buying locally and speaking positively about the state.
- Please email in advance to let us know that you would like to host a drive, so that we may support you. While we cannot guarantee it, if you are interested in having press cover your event, please let us know that as well in your email: info@BuyMichiganNow.com
- When asked to commit to buying locally, sometimes people will say they already do that, or give other reasons for not adding their names. It is often helpful to point out that we would appreciate them adding their names as a demonstration to Michigan businesses that we are serious about supporting them with our dollars if they are serious about keeping and creating jobs here. Numbers count. The more people that have taken the pledge, the easier it is to convince businesses to make an effort to carry and serve more Michigan-made products.
- For other Frequently Asked Questions about the pledge, follow this link: http://www.buymichigannow.com/pledge.php
- Pledge drives may be done in-person or online.
- Anyone who is old enough to spend money and understand what the pledge means, is old enough to add their name.
- If holding an in-person pledge drive, always get permission from the owners or managers of the site where the drive is to be held.
- Note that Buy Michigan Now is a grassroots campaign run by volunteers, and sponsored by Michigan-based businesses. There is absolutely NO political affiliation, nor government funding associated with the campaign.
- No money is ever part of a pledge drive.
Email Pledge Drive
- Use email to introduce friends, family, colleagues, etc. to the pledge.
- Only send group emails to people you personally know.
- Use BCC: (blind copy) for email addresses on group emails and put your own email address in the TO: line so as to protect the privacy of your recipients.
- Keep email message brief. Describe why you believe in the pledge and are inviting others to join you. Explain that their name, zip code, city, and state are all of the information that is required (no mailing address). No email address is requested unless they choose to receive additional information.
- They will not be contacted by Buy Michigan Now unless they choose to subscribe for additional information. We request the city, state, zip code so that we can gauge where our message is getting out, and where we still have work to do.
- Include the pledge itself: I hereby pledge to play an active role in building a strong, vibrant, and diverse Michigan economy. I will be a part of the solution by speaking positively about the state, learning about our products and services, and making a concerted effort to buy from Michigan businesses. I will Think Michigan First!
- Include a direct link to the pledge form: http://www.buymichigannow.com/pledge.php?action=take_the_pledge
- Thank recipients for their consideration and invite them to forward the message on, if they so choose.
Social Media Drive
- Use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Peoplemovers, Plaxo, etc. to introduce people to the pledge.
- State the pledge, when possible: I hereby pledge to play an active role in building a strong, vibrant, and diverse Michigan economy. I will be a part of the solution by speaking positively about the state, learning about our products and services, and making a concerted effort to buy from Michigan businesses. I will Think Michigan First!
- Ask people to click the link and add their names if they agree.
- Post a direct link to the pledge form: http://www.buymichigannow.com/pledge.php?action=take_the_pledge
- Invite connections to share the link on their own page
If you have any other questions, please email us and ask: info@BuyMichiganNow.com